2020 OKFriends Homecoming Teens, Youth Camp
The Overseas Koreans Foundation(OKF) was established in 1997 under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with the purpose of serving the 7.5 million Koreans residing abroad by imbuing them with a sense of ethnic familiarity and bolstering their growth into model citizens in their respective countries.
Through '2020 OKFriends Homecoming Teens and Youth Camp,' OKF aims to provide Korean teens and youth from around the world with a chance to communicate and cultivate familiarity mongst their fellow peers, as well as an opportunity to develop leadership skills and a sense of pride in their Korean heritage by experiencing the society, history, and culture of their homeland.
1. Our Goal
- To provide overseas Korean youth with networking opportunities and a sense of pride in their Korean heritage by experiencing Korean society, history, and culture.
- To cultivate ethnic familiarity between domestic and overseas Koreans and induce growth into global future generation leaders.
-2020 OKFriends Homecoming Teens
-2020 OKFriends Homecoming Youth
• 1st : ‘20.7.15(Wed.) ~ 7.21(Tues.) (6 nights 7 days)
• 2nd : ‘20.7.29(Wed.) ~ 8.4(Tues.) (6 nights 7 days)
• ‘20.8.5(Wed) ~ 12(Wed) (7 nights 8 days)
• Teens: Seoul and Other Regions
• Youth: Seoul and Other Regions
•Age 14~18 (‘20.7.1 reference)
Overseas Korean Middle and High School students
•Age 18~25(‘20.8.1 reference)
Overseas Koreans enrolled in University or Preliminary University Students
※ Taking into accout the differences in the international academic calendars, 18 year old preliminary university students may apply to either the Teens or Youth Program.
•Understanding Korea (Exploring and Experiencing)
- City Tour. Rural Exploration, Experiencing Traditional and Modern Korea, Visiting Historical Sites and Major Facilities.
•Understanding Koreans (Connecting and Familiarizing)
- Homestay, Korean School Experience, 1:1 Cultural Exchange with Korean Students
•Finding Korean Identity (Education and Participation)
- Korean and Culture lectures, lectures, social participation and related activities
•Contributing to the Development of Koreans (Presentation and Evaluation)
- Testimonials, Presentations, Evaluation and Suggestions.
•Finding Korean Identity (Exploring nd Experiencing)
- Experiencing Korean Language and Culture, visiting historical sites and major facilities to understand Korean culture
•Developing Global Leadership Skills (Debate and Education)
- Discussion on Global Citizenship, Environment, Unification, etc.
•Understanding Koreans (Connecting and meeting)
- Exchange with Korean Students and next generation leaders, Volunteer activity
※ In the application form, Teens Camp applicants are required to specify which period (1st or 2nd) to take part in.
II.Application and Selection Method
1. Number of Participants
ㅇ OKFriends HomeComing Teens : 1,000 participants
- 1st Camp(7.15~7.21) : 500 participants, 2nd Camp(7.29~8.4) : 500 participants
ㅇ OKFriends HomeComing Youth : 500 participants
ㅇ Overseas Korean Middle/High School and University Students
- Who have resided legally overseas for 5 years or more
‧ National Citizens, Permanent Residents, Korean Nationals, Adoptees and Children of Adoptees, Children from Multi-Cultural Families
‧ Descendants of Independence Patriots, CIS Koreans(Goryeoin), Chinese Koreans etc
‧ Students who are willing to contribute to the Overseas Korean community and have outstanding achievements in volunteer service for Korean society
‧ Must be in good physical and mental health and able to fully participate in the program
‧ Must not be involved in conflicts with the Immigration control laws of the residing country.
※ The number of former participants will be no more than 10% of total participants.
- Former participants : Those who have participated in the program within the past 3 years
3. Application Method
ㅇ Visit www.korean.net, create an account, and apply.
4. Selection Process
ㅇ Among those who have submitted all required documents, we will evaluate the following :
- Self-Introductory Letter, Reason of Application(check it agrees with the programs objectives)
- Community and service record in the community in country of residence (Reference)
- Recommendation from the Korean Consulate General in residing country (Reference)
- Other information decided through the selection process
5. Preferred Applicants
ㅇ Students who write their self-introductory letter and reason of application with motivation
ㅇ Students with skillful comprehension and use of Korean
ㅇ Students excelling in different categories
ㅇ Students who have received awards in academic fields and other extracurricular activities
ㅇ Students who have completed considerable amounts of community service.
6. Application Process
7. Reasons for Exclusion
ㅇ Currently undergoing treatment for weak neuropsychiatry and may be overcome by shock, seizure or any abnormal behavior during the event
ㅇ Requirement of special attention due to severe allergies, seizures, and shocks caused by certain foods
ㅇ Applicants from certain regions may be excluded from selection (as a precautionary measure) to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
III. Support Content
ㅇ 50% of the airfare (round-trip and economy class) to all participants
- For Mexican/Cuban-Korean Descendants, Korean adoptees & children of adoptees, 100% of the Airfare is provided. (The cooperating institution YMCA will purchase the ticket and send it to participants through a process of delivery to be announced later).
ㅇ Principles of Airfare Support
- Airfare Provision is only applicable if the ticket was purchased for the purpose of attending this program.
- The airfare is supported when the participant departs from the residence area. However, if departing from other areas outside of your residence due to your personal circumstances, support airfare will apply based on your local residence airfare (if departing from other area is more expensive than the local area airfare).
‧ Ex) Residing country: Japan + Departing country: United States ⇒ Airfares will be supported based on airfare from Japan
‧ Ex) Residing country: United States + Departing country: Japan ⇒ Airfares will be supported based on airfare from Japan
2. Meals and Accommodations are provided ※only during the program dates
3. Medical Insurance (Traveler's Insurance) Subscription is provided ※ only during the program dates
IV. Application Process and Result Notification
1. Application and Submission
A. Application deadline (Korean Time)
ㅇ Submition Deadline : Before Wednesday April 1, 2020
ㅇ Korean Consulate General Revision : Recommendations submitted by Friday April 10, 2020
ㅇ Participant selection and result notification : Before Monday April 27, 2020 through www.korean.net
B. Documents Submissions
ㅇ Required Documents(Write in Korean or English directly on the online application form)
① Application Form, Permission to request personal information and consent of usage
② Self-Introductory Letter (Written in English or Korean)
※ Must write place of Birth and Period of time living abroad
③ Certificate of Enrollment or Admission letter (Upload directly to the online application form)
ㅇ Optional Documents(Upload directly to the online application form)
① Special Skills, Awards (Copy)
② Recommendation Letter (Principal, Counselor)
※ Participants must visit the Overseas Koreans Foundation website (www.korean.net) to upload and submit all required application forms and documents.
※ Email, phone number, and contact information must be accurate (Notification of selection results, announcements including schedule and program information will be frequently send via email)
※ Must write an emergency contact and a Korean contact number
C. Application Process (Check appendix for details)
2. Results and Further Questions
ㅇ To be announced through Overseas Koreans Foundation website www.korean.net, on April 27, 2020(Participants will be notified individually). Results can be checked through the Korean Consulate General or Overseas Koreans Foundation Future
① 2020 OKFriends HomeComing Teens & Youth Camp
- Joo Dong Kim (Manager) Future Generations Department
② Application System Manager
- Seong Hyun Min (Manager) E-Global Korean Department
- Young Min Kim (Manager) E-Global Korean Department